41st Annual Parkmont Poetry Festival
Deadline for Submissions:
Friday, February 17, 2023
Saturday, April 29, 2023
Zion Baptist Church
4850 Blagden Avenue NW
Judges for 2023:
Final JudgeTo be announced
To be announced
Rules & Details for Submitting Poems
- The competition is open to any student who attends a school in DC, whether the student resides in DC, Maryland or Virginia. Homeschooled students living in DC are also invited to participate.
- Students may submit previously published poems and poems written a few years ago.
- Students may submit no more than 2 poems.
- Poems must be typed.
- If mailing your submission, be sure to fill out the Poetry Entry Form and include it with your poem(s) so that we have your name, home phone, school, grade, and teacher’s name and contact information. Download the form here.
- Finalists are strongly encouraged to attend the reading ceremony, but they are not required to do so.
- The Poetry Festival Ceremony and Poetry Reading is open to the public.
- If you’d like to purchase extra copies of a Festival booklet, send your request using the “Questions? Contact Us” button below.
- $40 Gift Certificate.
- Festival T-shirt.
- Publication in the Parkmont Poetry Festival Winners booklet.
The 2022 In-person Parkmont Poetry Festival
Our 40th annual festival marked a return to the live event we have not been able to host since 2019. We hope you will enjoy seeing and hearing the poets breathe life into their verse; in addition, the moving address by Finalist Judge Ethelbert Miller is a tribute to the power of the written word. The students’ winning poems can be read by downloading the 2022 booklet here.